Monday, June 8, 2009

Motivation Monday: Setting Yourself Up For Success

It happens to all of us at one point: we start out with good intentions and a workout schedule, but then life catches up to us. Or perhaps you are discouraged by seeing how it is so easy for some, but difficult for yourself. Either way, don't beat yourself up! Everybody makes mistakes. Nobody is perfect and everybody has weaknesses. For many of us, our weakness is food. For others it maybe something less visible. I think it is key to keep everything in perspective.

Here are some great ways to help set yourself up for success:

1) Implement health one step at a time
Don't try to completely undo all of your bad habits in one day. That is a set up for failure. Instead, just focus on one thing at a time. One week, focus on eating smaller portions. The next, make sure you buy healthier food. Then you can start exercising for 20 minutes just 3 days a week doing cardio. Baby steps.

If I had to tell you which steps are most important I would say first, your diet. Make sure you are eating less Calories. One thing that will help you is to eat more vegetables, water, and fiber. You will fill full, but with a lot less Calories. You can lose weight just by changing your diet. I have done it, myself, a few times.

Next important thing to lose weight would be to implement a cardio workout 3 times a week. You might start with just walking. I walk all the time because it is the easiest thing to do with my baby and I am not lying by saying I lose weight when I go walking. It is true! But if you are doing something less intense, like walking, just do it longer.

2) Set small reasonable goals for yourself
Your goal shouldn't just be "lose 50 lbs." That is a good long term-goal, but if that is all you focus on, you will become discouraged because it seems so far away. Instead create short-term goals, like losing one or two pounds a week. That seems much more reasonable. Also review your goals each morning and write your goals for the day (a to do list). You might have a goal to jump rope for 10 minutes or to make a healthy dinner. Your goals might even include NOT going out to eat for any meal. When you see that you can achieve your small, day to day goals it will give you strength to pursue larger goals, like losing 50 lbs or running a half-marathon.

3) Create a support system
It is hard to make such life-altering changes in your life without the complete support of those around you. You want you parents, children, spouse, significant other, and friends to be on your side. Be very upfront with them. Making these goals are nothing to be ashamed of. The people around you will probably be flattered that you are sharing your goals with them and that you are asking for their help. Don't try to do it on your own. If you come across people who are not supportive, don't bring up this part of your life with them. They will just bring you down.

Find someone to workout with, whether it be a walking buddy or someone to head to the gym with. For you mothers out there, take turns with someone to babysit while the other exercises.

4) Begin with the end in mind

I stole this one from "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Steven R. Covey. (I recommend the book to anyone) Pictures are great: picture of you "before," pictures of people who have made amazing transformations, and pictures of you along the way. This will help you see the big picture and give you a visual for the end result.

Running is hard. I think the mental aspect is even harder than the physical one. It is hard to stay motivated and keep your mind occupied, especially during the long runs. One thing I like to think about is me. I picture myself finishing the marathon, wearing a swimming suit, rock climbing up a steep cliff, etc. I like to think about the strong, healthy person I am becoming and that motivates me to push just a little harder.

When I started trying to run after I had a baby, I couldn't believe how difficult it was. It literally hurt me to jog 10 minutes, but I just told myself that if I push myself today it will be that much easier tomorrow. And it was. Jump forward 6 months and I am going to run a half-marathon this week. My mile pace has improved from like a 15 minute/mile (I don't even think that is considered a slow-jog. I was slow.) to somewhere around 8 minute/mile.

5) Redefine who you are
Health is not a short-term endeavor. It is a lifelong goal. All the changes that you are making for you and your family should be sustainable forever. Of course, right now I should clarify that there is difference between trying to LOSE weight and MAINTAINING weight. It is much easier to maintain, but it is still necessary to live a healthy lifestyle.

This sometimes means redefining who you are. You are not that person who orders a large soda with every meal. You do not eat donuts for breakfast. You like the way exercising makes you feel. You enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables. You even have a physical activity that you love to do every week, whether that be running, tennis, swimming, biking, karate, kickboxing, walking, gardening, snowboarding, hiking, yoga, dancing, or lifting weights. Most importantly, you are confident. You are not weak, but strong. You can achieve anything you want to do. If you want to do a triathlon, you can do it (with much training, years of training in my case). You will not have those risk factors for cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease (which is the number one killer of women in the United States). Instead, you will live a long healthy life and be there for your children and your grandchildren.

Losing weight is about so much more than looking good. It is about being the best you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment